Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Mom, Is It Real?



What a great week. I was able to witness the sheer joy that Disney brings on a 5-year-old's face. Clark was intrigued by what he saw, but Ellie was in complete amazement. Many times throughout the day she asked "Mom, is it real?" This is tricky territory for me. I am a big believer in telling kids the truth and explaining things slightly beyond their level, always letting them believe I think they're smart enough to grapple
with it. At first, I would answer in an honest but vague way (not wanting to completely destroy the wonder), something like...." do you think it is? or "it sure looks real, doesn't it?" Ellie wasn't biting. She would corner me into the details until I finally had to admit it wasn't. Toward the middle/end of the day, I found myself answering "Oh yeah, I think it is real". Maybe it was the fatigue of the "feels like" temp of 107, or maybe it was magic of Disney, but I think deep down I just wanted her to believe.

After we left Tampa and our visit with Besta and Papa Chuck, we stopped in Ocala for a visit with the other Mitchells' where the crib is always rockin' . I'm telling you, its like a party every day there. The kids decided they wanted to 'camp-out' in the playroom overnight, and farbeit from a Mitchell to pass up a camp-out. It's amazing what you can do with a sheet, four chairs, some comforters and couple flashlights. Of course, this meant that there was not much sleeping going on, which was good for me the next day when I drove the sleepyheads home to Tally. You know you're tired when you can't even sit up, or finish your cereal bar.




1 comment:

Darcy said...

I thought Madeleine and Nena looked tired, but Ellie literally laying down in the car seat wins the prize!! We have to plan a Disney trip for the 3 girls one day!!