Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Red-headed mermaids and MOMs


I suppose every mother has a moment where she realizes that she is officially a MOM. Not just a woman who has birthed a child, but a full-on MOM. The kind who can change a diaper in her sleep, miraculously produce (or improvise) a tissue or wipe, sense that her child is up to trouble and reprimand them while carrying on an indepth conversation with another person....you know...a MOM.

I had one of those moments the night before Ellie's birthday party. She had been spending the week with her Mimi & Papa (Spencer's parents) and I was talking to her on the phone. My mom and I were in the process of making her 'mermaid' cake and I had already frosted the cupcakes for her hair yellow. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Guess what? Mom and Besta are making a mermaid cake for your party tomorrow!
Ellie: OOhhhhhh!!! With red hair???
Me: ......no! with yellow hair!!!!!! (trying to sound very excited about the yellow hair)
Ellie: (in a sad low voice, trying not to cry) but...mom....mermaids have red hair.
Me: .........oh.....silly....mommy was just kidding.....of course she has red hair.

And there it was. I had become a woman who scrapes off yellow icing and makes new red icing.

Here are some pics of the party


1 comment:

michellenotdawn said...

Yay! You are 'That Mom', to quote Darcy (in a good way!)
I hope I can be as great a mom as you. (And Sandra, and Darcy, and Julie, and Chrissa, etc, etc)