Sunday, May 28, 2006

friends...then and now

I am amazed at how fast the past 4 years have gone by. Or for that matter, the past 10. It was 10 years ago that I first came to Tallahassee. Today we went to the Kagys' for a rockin picnic/party. Ellie and 9 of her closest friends had a blast in the big blow-up pool & huge slip 'n slide. (Oh to have 3 acres for a super-cool back yard party) I watched her and the other kids and realized that our kids now have their own sub-group and own group dynamic. The "Mondaynight kids". Hard to believe there were 10 kids in the pool and 5 infants under 4 months old just waiting for their chance to jump in. I know it will happen sooner than I want. My, how we are propagating the earth.

When did this happen? Weren't we just back at the BSU hanging out between classes, debating pretty much anything and watching the Flying J's in concert? Back when Sandra, Christopher, Mark and Brian all had a lot more hair and nobody was even close to being married. Now these are the same people who put a roof over our head (literally), remodel our house, bring us groceries when I'm too sick to make it to the store, and take advantage of teachable moments for Ellie when we're not right there. I love our friends. I love that some still call me Careybuck. I love that we call each other in the middle of the night to announce the arrival of babies. I love that we can mercilessly beat each other at games with serious smack-talk and no one remembers later. I love that Brian Janek seriously injured himself (twice!) helping us with our house...and never sued us. :-) This is the body of Christ.

No comments: